Hosted by Lewis Wescott
Type: Chicken Keeping Course - Beginner
Date: Sat 09 Jun 2012
Time: 12:00 - 13:30
Wheelchair Access: No
Dog Friendly: No
Child Friendly: No
Rating: - 3 reviews
- Meet chickens (and ducks) of various breeds - pure breeds in bantam and Large Fowl as well as hybrids and Ex Battery hens
- Learn how to properly hold a chicken
- Learn about hen health-care and to how perform basic health checks
- Know what to feed your chickens
- See the day-to-day maintenance required to keep chickens
- Find out about eggs
- Learn how to pick a suitable garden spot
- Get up close + personal with the FULL Omlet housing range: Eglu Classic, Pet, Go and Cube ... even help to clean if you wish!
- See samples of the colours that the eglu's come in
- Go home with an Omlet Goody bag containing Omlet pen, chicken badge, beginners guide book, various poultry leaflets, product samples and more!!
This is an interactive course getting you involved and hands on with the hens, the eglu's, their feed and everything else related to them.
You will then be able to ask any questions you may have, over drinks and cake :)
There may even be some of our free-range eggs for sale at the end of the course too!
Hi, I'm Lewis, 20 years old and currently studying Animal Science at University with hopes of becoming a Poultry Vet.
I work at Cotswold Chickens, volunteer for the BHWT and outside term-time live in Sutton Coldfield.
After working at a local childrens farm I knew we had to get chickens and so we started with 3 bantams in a wooden coop in 2006, then added 4 hybrids the year after - later buying an eglu classic after a battle with Red Mite!
I now have 16 chickens and a duck in an Eglu Classic, Eglu Pet, an Eglu Go and an Eglu Cube attached to a Walk In Run.
We have caught the chicken bug and over the last few years have added to our flock with POL hens and have also bred pekin bantams, hatching in an incubator and under a broody hen. Our hens are mainly pets but they have been bred from and a couple have won cards at local poultry shows.
We love that each chicken has a different personality and fresh eggs from them every day is a bonus!
Also living with us is Hughie the tortoise, 2 house rabbits, gerbils, diamond doves and a few tropical fish!
Unfortunately no dogs, under 12's and no wheelchair access.
The hosts of this course accept no responsibility for any loss or injury while on the premises. By booking on this course you are agreeing to these terms.
If you cannot make the date specified for the course, or have any questions, please do contact me as alternatives can be arranged.
If you have a specific question about this course, you can contact the host by clicking the button below. If you have a general question about chicken, bees or rabbits, you can contact our experts here