Hosted by Outwood Mill Chicken Course
Type: Chicken Keeping Course - Beginner
Date: Sat 18 Aug 2012
Time: 10:00 - 12:00
Wheelchair Access: Yes
Dog Friendly: Yes
Child Friendly: Yes
Rating: - 8 reviews
Hi I'm Tracy, I have been keeping chickens for about 4yrs. I currently have three Brown Lohmann hens, five Ex Battery hens and a Buff Orpington Cockeral who are a joy to look after, and they make fantastic pets. My chickens are housed in a large wooden coop and not an Eglu, in case you were wanting to see one.
Every morning I look forward to saying hello to my chickens (and they talk back) and collecting the freshly laid eggs, which are lovely on toast!
I live in the small village of Outwood with my husband and my 15yr old Labrador and 7yr old cocker spaniel dogs.
I look forward to sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you, where I will take you through the stages of basic day to day care of your chickens.
- Introduction to my hens
- Daily/weekly routine
- What you need to have in before you bring your hens home
- What to expect when you get your hens home
- What to feed your hens
- Healthy hens are happy hens, common health problems and how to avoid them.
- How to pick up and handle a hen and health check her
- How hens interact with each other, “the pecking order”
- Keeping your chickens safe- other family pets and predators
- How you can make the chickens work for your life style and circumstances, whether your garden is big or small
- There will be lots of opportunity for you to ask as many questions as you like
- My garden is accessible for wheelchairs
- Please wear outdoor shoes and bring a waterproof and be prepared to get a few dirty foot prints on your nice clean tee-shirt!
- Get an Omlet goody bag including chicken keeping guide (one per household).
Also included in the course is a tour of England's Oldest Working Windmill. Which makes a great day out for the family. Full details of the windmill can be found here:
(www).outwoodmill.com Without the brackets
If you have a specific question about this course, you can contact the host by clicking the button below. If you have a general question about chicken, bees or rabbits, you can contact our experts here