Type: Chicken Keeping
Date: Sat 14 Apr 2012
Time: 12:00 pm - 13:30 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
Rating: 3 reviews
About the course
Wheelchair Access: No
Dog Friendly: No
Child Friendly: No
- Meet chickens (and ducks) of various breeds - pure breeds in bantam and Large Fowl as well as hybrids and Ex Battery hens
- Learn how to properly hold a chicken
- Learn about hen health-care and to how perform basic health checks
- Know what to feed your chickens
- See the day-to-day maintenance required to keep chickens
- Find out about eggs
- Learn how to pick a suitable garden spot
- Get up close + personal with the FULL Omlet housing range: Eglu Classic, Pet, Go and Cube ... even help to clean if you wish!
- See samples of the colours that the eglu's come in
- Go home with an Omlet Goody bag containing Omlet pen, chicken badge, beginners guide book, various poultry leaflets, product samples and more!!
This is an interactive course getting you involved and hands on with the hens, the eglu's, their feed and everything else related to them.
You will then be able to ask any questions you may have, over drinks and cake :)
There may even be some of our free-range eggs for sale at the end of the course too!
Hi, I'm Lewis, 23 and having obtained an Animal Science degree I am currently studying Veterinary Medicine in with hopes of becoming a Poultry Vet.
I attend exhibitions and agricultural shows across the country promoting keeping chickens as pets and have been lucky to give talks at BBC Gardeners' World Live, Edible Garden Show, The Pet Show as well as running a day course at Highgrove Estate, home of HRH Prince Charles.
After working at a local childrens farm I knew we had to get chickens and so we started with 3 bantams in a wooden coop in 2006, then added 4 hybrids the year after - later buying an eglu classic after a battle with Red Mite!
I now have a small flock of assorted hybrids and pure breeds with Gerald the Drake in charge of the flock, kept in an Eglu Classic, Eglu Pet, an Eglu Go and an Eglu Cube attached to a Walk In Run.
We have caught the chicken bug and over the last few years have added to our flock with POL hens and have also bred pekin bantams, hatching in an incubator and under a broody hen. Our hens are mainly pets but they have been bred from and a couple have won cards at local poultry shows.
We love that each chicken has a different personality and fresh eggs from them every day is a bonus!
Being a fan of exotics, also living with us is Hughie the tortoise, house rabbits, diamond doves and Gary my adopted cat from the streets of Slovakia!
Unfortunately no dogs allowed, please ask about under 12's and wheelchair access in advance.
The hosts of this course accept no responsibility for any loss or injury while on the premises. By booking on this course you are agreeing to these terms.
If you cannot make the date specified for the course, or have any questions, please do contact me as alternatives can be arranged.