Hosted by Margaret Manchester
Type: Chicken Keeping Course - Beginner
Date: Sun 24 Aug 2014
Time: 10:00 - 12:30
Wheelchair Access: Yes
Dog Friendly: No
Child Friendly: Yes
Location: Bishop Auckland, Durham
Rating: - 2 reviews
The course includes:
- choosing chickens to suit you: breeds of chicken
- housing: different options for housing your hens
- feeding: what a chicken needs to grow healthily and to be productive
- health: the basics of chicken care; the moult; common diseases and their cures; how to handle a chicken and deal with chicken behaviour; parasites and treatment
- legalities: laws and guidance from authorities relevant to keeping poultry
Durham Hens is a family run business near Tow Law, County Durham. We have a huge variety of hens for sale. We also stock hen houses, poultry equipment and supplies. So if you're ready to get started, you have the option of purchasing a coop (Eglu Go, Eglu Cube, other plastic or wooden ones), your hens and everything you need at the end of the course!
Durham Hens was voted UK Best Poultry Supplier 2013 by readers of Grow Your Own magazine.
I have many years experience of keeping hens as pets and on a commercial basis, and regularly advise chicken owners on all matters concerning their care. Each hen has a unique personality making them fascinating to watch and to be around.
My previous vocation was teaching adults in archaeology, local history and genealogy so teaching these courses combines both skills and interests.
My courses are run on a friendly and informal basis with lots of practical hands-on activities. Questions and discussions are encouraged - you can contribute as little or as much as you want.
Please note children are welcome but under 12s should be accompanied by an adult.
I look forward to meeting you!
If you have a specific question about this course, you can contact the host by clicking the button below. If you have a general question about chicken, bees or rabbits, you can contact our experts here