You can reduce the chances of your bees becoming ill by some simply best practises. This is especially important if you visit your local apiary or help a friend with their colony.
- Check your bees regularly - so you can catch any problems early.
- Regularly keep you health knowledge up to date so you can spot disease quickly if it occurs
- If you have more than one hive, you should aim to set them up in a way to reduce drifting of bees from one hive to another.
- Do not you transfer combs between colonies without first checking for signs of disease
- Regularly wash you bee veil and gloves to stop the spread of disease through your clothes.
- If you are inspect multiple beehives in a visit - use disposable gloves between hives
- Avoid second hand equipment unless from a trusted previous owner - a good ebay rating is not sufficient.