Type: Chicken Keeping
Date: Thu 23 Aug 2018
Time: August 23, 2018 11:00 - 13:30 pm
Location: Dorney, Berks
Rating: 6 reviews
Please note that all courses are provided according to the terms of conditions of the Omlet Course Marketplace. Click here to view Terms and Conditions
About the course
Wheelchair Access: No
Dog Friendly: No
Child Friendly: Yes
I have learned so much over the years and look forward to helping others learn from my experiences. Keeping chickens is fun and totally addictive. My course can help you decide what to get, where to put them, what type of run and house and how to keep your chickens healthy, happy and safe.
The course I run will cover:
- Understanding why you want chickens and how they will fit into your life style
- Which breeds work for you, your family and your garden
- Where to put your chickens once you get them home and how to keep them safe from predators
- Advice on what to look for when buying your chickens (and when to walk away!)
- Options on different houses and runs (and show you a few choices)
- Talk about the different bedding and run floor options
- Show you different feeders and drinkers (and talk about the pro's and con's)
- What to feed and what NOT to feed your chickens
- How to keep your girls happy and healthy at all stages of their life
- Common health problems and what to watch out for
- If you get more chickens, how to integrate them safely and happily
- A few tips I've learned on keeping the chicken house, run and environment they live in shipshape
- First aid kits and what to have in store
The course is held at my house and in my garden, so please wear appropriate indoor/outdoor clothes/footware and a top you don't mind getting dirty (preferably with long sleeves). Please park on the drive when you arrive. We will start the course indoors over a cup of coffee/tea/soft drink but then venture out to meet the girls, handle them and talk about housing, your garden, look at the different houses and runs and various foods and products. I have several wooden houses as well as an Omlet Cube, Omlet Go Up with walk in run and an Omlet Eglu Classic.
I provide course notes and share my thoughts on the shopping list and essential items (including an indication of costs). There are plenty of opportunities to ask lots of questions.
Please note children over 10 years old are welcome on the course but they must be well behaved and pay for a place. Unfortunately, there are three steps down into my garden so tricky for wheelchair users.
*The hostess of this course accepts no responsibility for any loss or injury whilst on the premises. By booking on this course you are agreeing to these terms.