Shows are a great place for your chicken to pick up parasites and infections. Because of this it is sensible to quarantine your chicken for a week and treat them for parasites by dusting them with Diatom powder or another louse powder.
A chicken with a beautiful beak, comb and wattle
Top Tips For Showing Chickens
- Do your research on the breed you are showing. Having a good knowledge on the breed standard will allow you to send your best chicken to show and you will do better.
- Keep your show chickens indoors- keeping them outdoors can alter the colour and condition of the feathers.
- In the run up to a show feed your hens wholewheat only to delay laying until after the show.
- Do not modify your bird in any way other than clipping claws and the beak.
- If your chicken has a crest, tape halfway across a water container to limit how much a bird can dip their head in to drink.
- Get to know judges and what ‘type’ of bird they tend to lean towards.