Guinea pig hutches come in all shapes and sizes, and lots of people traditionally opted for a basic wooden hutch for their pets. Now, there are more modern alternatives that are easy to clean and insulate, and that come with a run attached so the animals aren’t cooped up in a small space. You can browse our hutches here. We offer a specially designed home for your pets, that can be cleaned in just a few minutes, is waterproof, and can easily be moved around your house and garden.
The Eglu Go is a portable hutch
If you choose a traditional wooden option, then you’ll need to make sure it has the following:
- It has been treated with an animal-friendly preservative
- It doesn’t have a mesh floor (so your guinea pigs don’t hurt their feet)
- It’s has one section that lets in light, and one that is dark
- It has a sloping roof so that rain doesn’t collect on the top
- It’s not on the ground
- It has a secure fastening so that predators can’t get in
- It is rat-proof (rats can attack and kill adult guinea pigs and babies - watch out for signs of rats including the gnawing of the outside of the hutch).